Thursday, October 15, 2009

Update on McKay

I just had to add this picture of right after delivery to give proof of how small this little guy really is! Update for today: his blood glucose levels are still up and down, even with the IV glucose going in. They put an NG (naso gastric) tube down his nose to give him some formula (mixed with whatever I pump) to increase his weight, his glucose, and hopefully a desire to suck on something. He has not had the energy or desire to suck on even a pacifier yet, so we are hoping that giving him more energy will help in that department.

For those of you who really want to know the medical stuff: they want his blood glucose level to be above 50. It was 28 when he went to NICU after delivery (common in small babies, but still that is really low). For the past 24 hours, his levels have been all over the place. They gave him a bolus last night, which put his level at 163. Then slowly, he has come back down without them changing anything. But, we don't want him to keep dropping. We really want him to stabilize somewhere above 50. The last one was 60, which is good because we have now been able to slightly decrease his IV rate and try breast/bottle feeding again. The NG tube will stay in place to give him whatever he doesn't take through breast or bottle.

We are cheering this little champ on. We know he can do it!! The nurses in this NICU have been fabulous so far...I had my doubts coming from Primary's. I just have to tell myself that McKay isn't sick enough to be in Primary's, so it is a good thing we aren't there. :)

8 comments:

  1. Yay!! He's here! I'm so happy for you guys and I hope he continues to do well!! His hair is adorable and I hope you're doing well! I can't wait to see more pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's perfect Shelley! Congrats! I hope things continue to progress with his sugar levels and energy levels. Please post more pics soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Hope his glucose levels stabilize so you can take your little tyke home! Love his hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you updated your blog with details and info and pictures! What a beautiful baby! I hope everything goes ok with the little guy's health. Keep us all updated! We're excited for you and Kimball!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you both, and he is adorable! That hair is amazing! I know you can do it little dude, get that glucose up! You're awesome Shells!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet McKay, bless your heart, or more appropriately, your blood glucose. I will cheer for 60! 60! 60! I wish I could give him some of mine (wink). He really is a beautiful baby. He got gold with his parents. We love you-all three.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doh! Eh is Eric and Jenny Hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update. You hav been in our constant thought and prayers. Blogs are so much fun with little ones to show all the changes. Before we know it, McKay will be walking and talking. We are so sorry for these first days have been so difficult, these little ones are miracles and will continue to show you miracles daily. We love you and will continue to pray for all of you!

    ReplyDelete