Friday, October 16, 2009

Day #3 in NICU


Good news is McKay is doing much better! His glucose levels are stabilizing in the 60-70 range, so they are slowly weaning down his IV. The IV glucose will be done today, but then they continue to check his levels often and feed him so that he can keep it up. The NG tube is out (thanks to the little guy's long fingernails). For all you nurses--that is the worst when they pull their own tube out, huh? Luckily, they haven't had to put it back down because he is getting enough through bottle feeding and some breast feeding...yay!

He is a totally new babe from yesterday morning. His progress is so much like the gospel. In the gospel, we have to look at people from where they have come from, NOT from where they are. I think we can always give people more credit! It's true with McKay too. It is so awesome that he will even drink from a bottle today, when yesterday morning, he wouldn't even suck on a pacifier.

Things are looking up. I will be discharged to a "hotel stay" room here in the hospital so that I can go to NICU and feed him. McKay could be discharged Sunday or Monday if all goes well. I saw one of my nursing school friends in the NICU last night. Jana (can't remember her married name) is a NICU nurse here in Logan and we graduated with each other. She was such a welcome site since we know very few people up here. The nurses here are wonderful.

For the Holt clan, the nurses put up signs on McKay's crib with tractors, barns, and trucks. They asked us, "what do you think of when you think of McKay?" Kimball said, "John Deere tractors." So the next time we went, there were some pictures up. Very cute. More pictures to come later of McKay. It is exhausting to pump, feed, never sleep, and then also remember to take pictures. I am getting there....slowly. :)

11 comments:

  1. Thats great to hear!!!!!!!! Keep it up little man!! I think he looks a lot like you shelley!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news. Hang in there Shelley. My first didn't know how to suck either. Glad you get to stay there near him. Love, Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are getting better! We'll continue to pray for your cute family. McKay is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update Shelley. Despite everything you seem to be doing so well! Your family is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the updates, Shelley! It's really great to know how he's doing. We love you and pray for you, Kimball and your sweet little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Shells and McKay! You guys are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations you guys! Stephanie Holladay told me this morning at aerobics that you had had him. I am so happy for you that he is here, and that he is making progress. He is ADORABLE, and I love his hair. That is great! We will certainly keep you all in our prayers. I love his name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sure looks cute! I can't wait to hold him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Guys!!! When it settles a bit, we would love to come up and see you all. It sounds like everything is improving and he is doing so well. Welcome to MOMMYHOOD, Shelley!! You are doing so well....I think it took me a solid month to get to our blog after Lainey arrived:) We love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear he is doing well. He is sure cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear he's doing better! And so glad you got to see a familiar face... sometimes that makes all the difference in the world! We are thinking of you often. Love you!

    ReplyDelete