Although life does seem like it has slowed down a bit since the college days, I still feel like things change on a regular basis. Change can be hard, very hard. I was reluctant to move to Cedar City. I loved Salt Lake. Everything about Salt Lake was comfortable. We had awesome friends, a fabulous ward, I had an amazing job, I was taking a great sewing class, and life was just good. But I knew our time wouldn't last because I knew Kimball wanted to go back and work with his family and the farm.
Elder Snow, of the seventy, said this:
"We need to “get on with our lives.” Most of us do not seek or even welcome dramatic changes. But change is an essential part of life’s experiences.
Many of these changes come as we naturally make our way through our earthly journey. Our lives change as we progress from childhood through youth and on into adulthood and finally old age. Schooling, missions, marriage, employment, and retirement are all examples of milestones of change.
Too often we are reluctant to enter the next stage, begin the next challenge. Maybe we are too comfortable, fearful, or lacking in faith."Let's just say that I feel like have adjusted well here. I have made friends, Kimball's job is finally slowing down a bit to where we see each other more often, McKay is happy, our ward is great, etc. I wouldn't say I welcome change, but I made a decision soon after moving here to just "get on with life" and try to make the best of it. Change is still hard but it is inevitable in all of our lives.
Another quote that I love, love, love is from Elder Uchtdorf about looking for the good:
"Have you ever noticed that people can usually find whatever they are looking for? Look hard enough, and you can discover both good and bad in almost anyone and anything. People have done the same with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since its beginning. Those who look for the good will find a kind and compassionate people—a people who love the Lord and desire to serve Him and bless the lives of their fellowman. But it is also true that those who look for the bad will certainly find things that are not so ideal."
It's definitely not easy to always look for the good in life, but I know that it makes my life better. I want to teach McKay and any other little ones I have to always look for the good in anything. I also want to teach them that change can be really good, even if it is hard.
So true! Change is hard but great job making the best of it and putting it in a proper perspective. Something I definitely need to work on.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Sorry we didn't meet up with you on our way to Arizona. We missed seeing you. Mckay is adorbale-I'm glad he's walking. :)
ReplyDeleteI second everything you said, change is soooo hard for me. Its hard to break out of my shell and dig right in, but after we moved here i just said i have to open the door and meet new great friends and just enjoy a new adventure!! Iam so happy i met you, you are such a great person!!! we need more play dates!
ReplyDeleteShelley your blog is so cute! I agree that change is really hard...something I know all to well right now. Thank you for making it ten times easier for me. It has been so fun getting to know you :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing a message I needed to read. So happy that you are happy and doing well. We miss you at our HOPE meetings!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on a year! And thanks for the quotes and your example of always looking for the good in everything. Sure miss you and hope you have a fun St. Patty's day!
ReplyDeletethanks for this post. I love your quotes. Paul and I have another move ahead of us and I have been so reluctant to take it. thanks for the help about change.
ReplyDeleteI love that quote! I agree - life is always about change. We really should just embrace it. I'm not big on change, either, but have at least learned how to deal better with it. I'm at the point now where I actually am finding myself longing for some of it. :) Anyway, thanks. And we love having you here. Glad its been a positive change. :)
ReplyDeleteHey Shelley I really enjoyed your post. You are so right about change. It is so so hard. You are so positive and such a great neighbor. I am glad you moved here so I could get to know you. Maybe in the summer I will see you more.:)
ReplyDelete