Friday, April 9, 2010

Be an Organ Donor

I have to dedicate a post to this topic because it is something that I have come to be deeply passionate about while being a nurse and caring for patients waiting for organ transplants and then watching their bodies function amazingly after receiving their transplants.
You have the power to Donate Life.
April is national donate life month. There are over 85,000 people across the United States waiting for a life-saving transplant. I have taken care of babies, kids, and adults waiting for heart, liver, lung, kidney, and intestine transplants. It is inspiring to see the deep love and gratitude these people have for their donors that develops even before they receive their transplants.

Working at Primary Children's Hospital has taught me how precious life is. All of the little inconveniences we experience, the minor sicknesses, the small frustrations, or our "bad days" seem to throw most of us over the edge at times. But what if we were waiting for a transplant??? Or our sister, or our brother, or our parent, or our child?

A LDS musician, Paul Cardall, recently received his heart transplant at Primary Children's. In talking about his donor, he said,

"I believe strongly my donor is an angel of God who chose a path that has blessed the lives of not only my family, my community, but also future generations. I'm reminded of a verse of scripture in the Bible that reads: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:14) I am forever in his debt and will do all I can to serve others as he has served me."

Another patient I know is Miracle Mason- a two year old who received a heart transplant on Easter Sunday! His mom wrote,

"The most tears I have shed this day are in gratitude for our donor family. On this Easter morning they had to say goodbye to their sweet child. They donated their child's heart on Easter almost like our Savior sacrificed his life for us. He then resurrected on Easter just like our Mason has been given a new chance at life this day. I will be forever grateful to this family and pray that they will know of the joy they have brought to our family. I pray that on each Easter they will think of the gift of life they have shared with our family!"

Please please please sign up to be an organ donor if you haven't already!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley! I am so glad you posted this. Organ donation is something I have always felt really strongly about. I know I checked yes on my driver's license a very long time ago, but I was wondering if you could let me know the link to the website? This is a great reminder.

    Thanks!

    --it's been so fun reading your blog. Your house looks so cute! I can't believe you live only an hour or so away from where I grew up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. A couple of the docs I work with in the ER have had cornea transplants and can see because of organ donation. Looks like life is treating you well, Shelley! Congrats on Mckay-he's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this topic. My Dad is a kidney transplant recipient and we've been able to have many more years with him because of it.

    ReplyDelete